Good to Know
It's true: an academic library is different than your school or public library, with different kinds of collections, resources, and rules. Our students work hard so we ask everyone--even fellow students--to please respect our students. Help them out by following these guidelines:
- Cell Phones
Allowed for texting.
Allowed if inaudible to others.
Allowed if you keep it down and don’t disturb others.*
Allowed when accompanied by parent or guardian at all times, but children under 16 should not be in the Library Lab.
Good News for Parents
The good news is that COM now has a kid friendly place on campus in the administrative building with multiple computers where you can do what you need to do with a great area set up for kids!
Monday & Tuesday 8:00am – 7:00pm
Wednesday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
*At times there may be events and library classes; Library & Lab staff may need to converse with students to help them.
What Can You Do in the Library?
- Do college level research, accessing thousands of full text articles online from our online Databases.
- Get research help from the research experts--librarians! Ask COM Library.
- Check your email.
- Play chess, backgammon or put a puzzle together.
- Charge your mobile devices at our free charging stations.
- Get techy help in the Library Lab.
- Get Wi-Fi access, with places to plug in and charge up.
- Read thousands of EBSCO eBooks online.
- Find a quiet place to study in our study rooms, our large tables where you can spread out, or our study carrels.
- Check out, renew or return books.
- Listen to audio on any of our computers--headphones are available on each computer--or bring your own.
- Make copies on our copiers (5 cents/page).
- Work on your paper or other class projects using MS Office on library computers.
- Read books from our Spanish language collection.
- Print out B&W (5 cents/page) or color (10 cents/page) documents.
- Relax in our lounge area near the main entrance.
- Read paperbacks, magazines or bestsellers located in the lounge area.
- Check out DVDs.
- Scan documents with our scanner in the the Library Lab.
- Check out a copy of your textbook.
Get to Know Your Library
Did you know that library anxiety is the most common academic anxiety among college students? It's nothing to be ashamed of!
One of the best ways to get started with college level research is to get to know your library. Taking the time to get to know your library now can really save you time and frustration when you actually have to do research for your classes. Here are some library basics to help you get to know COM Library.
What's in the Library?
COM Library has lots of great resources for COM students, faculty, and staff:
1. COM Library Guides
Our guides are great one stop resources designed by COM Librarians with COM students in mind, to help you find the best resources for your projects and save you time.
You've got questions, we've got answers. You can tweet, text, chat and more to get answers to your question. Go to LibAnswers to ask a question or see some we've already answered from real live COM students!
3. Face 2 Face Help
Librarians are available to help with research issues and Lab Managers and Assistants are available to help with software and other tech issues. While classes and researchers are given first priority, COM students, faculty, staff and community are welcome to use the computers.
Our databases includes subscriptions to thousands of full text journals, primary sourcs, and streaming media through subscription. Access our Articles & Databases.
5. Books & eBooks
The library has thousands of books and eBooks that support COM courses, as well as bestsellers that are made available in the library while they are popular. All COM Library eBooks can be accessed remotely. Access these collections: Find Books.
6. Library Classroom
The Library Classroom is used for the instruction of Information Literacy, the ability to locate, evaluate, and use information to become an independent life-long learner.
7. A Place to Study
The library has several study rooms available for students on the mezzanine, as well as various tables and carrels throughout the library.
On campus with a mobile device? The library is a hotspot. Spread out on our round tables on the mezzanine, plug into an outlet and go Wi-Fi!
9. Library Lab & Tech Help
The main purpose of the Library Lab is to provide access to college level research for COM students. Computers in the lab and classroom provide access to the Internet, Library catalog and databases with hundreds of thousands of articles, thousands of eBooks and the extensive COM Library web site, designed to help users find the information they need. There are numerous software applications available for use including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, AutoCAD, and GIS software. Best of all, you can get tech help from our great Library Lab staff! Go to the Library Lab Guide.