Check to see if you can log on remotely
When on campus, go to the login page and try you COM ID and last name. If your COM ID number does not add up to 7 digits, put enough zeroes in front of the number to add up to seven. Example: 1234 would be entered 0001234.
If you get a new page that says "You're logged on!" You'll know that your record is current and you can access all our databases off campus.
If you get a page that says " Invalid COM ID - Last Name combination. Please try again" you'll know you need to Contact the library:
- call (409) 938-8448
- email email@example.com
Personal Account Logins
There are some COM Library resources that require a personal account login instead of the method used for all other COM Library databases:
- Learning Express Library
If you get a message that says Invalid COM ID - Last Name combination. Please try again then there is a problem. You can get this message when:
- COM ID last name information was entered incorrectly --double check typing.
- Your COM ID # does not add up to 7 digits, put enough zeroes in front of the number to add up to seven. Example: 1234 would be entered 0001234.
- You have hyphens, apostrophes or other special characters in your name name, please see the chart on the login page.
- Sometimes the number lock being on or off on your keyboard can make a difference.
- Your information was not transferred from the College to the Library. In this case you will have to contact the library and we can enter your information for you manually. You can email, call at (409) 933-8448, or open a live chat from Guide or LibAnswers pages.
Access COM Library Resources from Home
It's true, you can access many COM Library resources at home! COM Library’s catalog, and the thousands of eBooks and articles in our databases can all be accessed off campus. Just login with your COM ID# and last name.
Get troubleshooting tips, answers to your home access questions, or ask us.
There are some things that can go wrong when you try to access databases off campus:
- Invalid COM ID - Last Name combination. Please try again.
Double check to make sure that you entered your COM ID # and last name correctly. If you still get the invalid COM ID message, contact the library to have your record updated. Generally this can be fixed immediately, but may take 1-2 working days in some cases.
- You reached a login page, but it is not an COM login page (from ezproxy.com.edu), it is from the actual database
You may have tried to go to a database directly instead of through a link on a COM Library page. If that is the case you will have to start over from a COM Library page--that is the only way a database knows you are a legal user of the database (ie., that the library paid for you to access it).
Cookies must be enabled on your browser.
- Specific database
If you can log into some databases, but not others it generally means the database is having a problem and you'll have to wait until the problem is resolved, generally by the next day.
- Authentication error
If you get an authentication error, the problem may be your personal firewall. Some firewall software blocks transmission of your web browser's "Referring URL", and that will prevent you from being properly authenticated * into many of the Databases. Non-authenticated users will either see an ERROR page or they will be prompted for a password. Since there are no passwords beyond the original Login to COM Library Databases page, the user will be blocked from accessing the resource.
The solution? Adjust its configuration to permit transmission of your web browser's "Referring URL." Some firewall software requires that you specify which web sites should be allowed this information. See below for a complete list of web domains in use by COM Library databases.