What is a Banned Book?
Books have been banned as long as there have been books and continue to be banned or challenged even today. A banned book is a book that may be:
- removed from a library or libraries;
- not allowed to be published;
- not allowed to enter an entire country;
- not allowed to exist: to be physically destroyed, typically by burning, such as the notorious book burning in Nazi Germany.
- The most extreme form of banning is the death or demand for the death of the author, as during the Inquisition, or more recently with Salman Rushdie.
- A challenged book is one that someone has tried to ban, but did not succeed.
Why are books sometimes banned?
The reason to ban books generally boils down to ideas that are perceived as dangerous in some way to an individual, group, or government that does not want other people to have access to that idea, whether the idea is about God, government or society.
Issues to Consider
- What happens when people are denied access to books and the ideas contained in them?
- What happens when an author’s right to freedom of speech (in this country) is denied?
- Is it a coincidence that some of the greatest books ever written are also some of the most banned or challenged books?
Must be on campus or have COM ID to access.
Want more on EBSCOhost eBooks? Learn how to download or transfer EBSCOhost eBooks to a mobile device and more in the EBSCOhost eBooks Guide.
Read Banned Books--It's Your Freedom We're Talking About!
Learn what banned books are and the history of banned books. See which books on the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels are available in COM Library that Have Been Banned or Challenged Elsewhere, see a list of Classic Books and Authors in COM Library That Have Been Banned or Challenged elsewhere, download free eBook versions of classic banned books and more!
COM Library stands firmly behind freedom of speech and the American Library Association (ALA) code: “We uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist all efforts to censor library resources.”
About Banned Books
Search WorldCat for books, eBooks and media items in COM Library. You can even grab a citation from WorldCat in APA, Chicago and MLA style.
Want more on WorldCat? Try the How to Use WorldCat Guide.