Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Getting Started with OER for Faculty

What is OER, how to implement and find OER for your courses.

COM Library Textbook Survey

Summary

This survey was a random sampling of 144 students in COM Library in Fall 2019.

Key Findings

  • Almost 30% of students were not able to buy all of their textbooks.
  • 38% of COM students paid over $200 for textbooks this semester; 28% paid over $300. Combined, that is 66% of our students that had to pay over $200 in one semester. 
  • About 92% would be willing to use a free eBooks or web based guide in lieu of a textbook.
  • 86% face no barriers viewing a free eBooks or web based guide.
  • Of students that were not willing to use either a free eBook or free web based guide, there was little overlap, meaning most were willing to use one or the other. Only 3 students did not want to use either.

Comments from Students

  • Get more interesting textbooks.
  • Willing to use eBooks, but I do enjoy hands on reading and highlighting.
  • Open to using eBook, but not as good as a physical textbook.